The Robots Have Landed
The robots have landed at UT Dallas! You’ve likely seen them all around campus delivering food, drinks, and even snacks to fellow Comets!
UT Dallas Dining (Chartwells) partnered with Starship Technologies to bring 30 robots to campus for the initial launch on December 3 2019. Starship is revolutionizing deliveries with autonomous robots. The robots have traveled thousands of miles across 100 cities around the world and we are so excited to help our partner bring this exciting new convenience to the campus community.
A few notes about the program and the robots themselves:
- Starship was founded by two Skype co-founders, Ahti Heinla and Janus Friis.
- To use the service, students, staff and faculty can download the Starship Deliveries app from either the Apple® (iOS) or Google Play (Android™) app stores.
- There are 10 dining locations to start with: Papa John’s, Panda Express, Smash’d, Firehouse Subs, Halal Shack, Einstein Bros. Bagels, The Pub, The Market SU [Student Union] and The Market DHW [Dining Hall West] .
- There will be additional retail venues available on the app in the future.
- Delivery hours vary by participating venues, opening the app you will see what venues are open and available for deliveries at that time.
- The Starship Deliveries app will accept debit/credit transactions. We plan to accept Meal Money as tender in the future.
- Users select their delivery location by dropping a pin on the map inside the app.
- Once an order is placed, the app will update the user of the robot’s location in real time.
- Once the robot arrives to the spot the user has selected the app will send an alert that the robot has arrived.
- The robot will meet you outside of your building, be sure and bring your cell phone to unlock the robot through the app.
- The robots drive autonomously but are monitored by humans who can take control at any time.
- You may sometimes hear the robot verbally greet you and or thank you.
- The robots can carry up to 20 pounds.
- The robot can travel up to about 4 mph.
- There is a $1.99 delivery fee.
- Robots can deliver to Northside, SPN and SPN2.
- If you have any issues with an order, select the HELP section within the Starship Deliveries app and they will go to work to fix the issue.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org.